Maybelline White Super Fresh Long Lasting Cake Powder ReviewFriday, October 10, 2014
Hello, lovelies~ I am back on track to reviewing makeup that has been queuing in my vanity drawers. A little warning before this post, my skin is not at its best because I was trying out a serum that turned out to be disastrous. Urgh.
Don't you just hate it when you're excited about a product only to find out that it broke you out in the end? Is the previous sentence making sense? Is the world round?
Anyway, I have been skipping foundations lately and applying powder straight after my sunscreen. It feels lighter and less 'choking' on my face during the recovery phase. I have been using the Maybelline White Super Fresh Long Lasting Cake Powder for over 3 weeks in total, on and off.
Funny story about the packaging of this powder foundation. Having a white glossy surface, Mr. G thought it was a powerbank, grabbed it in a hurry and handed it to me when we were in the car.
"You forgot your powerbank," he said as he handed me the compact. "Well,", I replied, "this is a compact powder, love." He inspected it carefully, saw the back, and laughed like a maniac. That being said, it does look sleek and anything but cheap for me.
When I skimmed the ingredients for this powder, it seemed that it is made for people with oily skin. I tried categorizing them to make it easier to read and understand.
- Sunscreen : Titanium Dioxide, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate,
- Oil Controlling : Talc, Zea mays (corn) starch, Kaolin,
- Smooth Skin Feeling : Diphenylsiloxy phenyl trimethicone, vinyl dimethicone/methicone silsesquinoxane crosspolymer,
- Bulking agent : Perlite, Trisostearin, magnesium stearate, aluminium hydroxide, ,
- Skin conditioning agents : caprylyl glycol, ethylhexylglycerin, tocopherol,
- Potential irritants : Fragrance, Linalool, colorants
- Preservatives : stearic acid (maybe as it has antimicrobial properties)
As for application, I like to use a fluffy powder brush or a powder puff that comes with the compact. The difference is the coverage; brush gives less coverage, whereas puff gives more coverage. For everyday makeup, I prefer using a brush for lighter coverage.
For the purpose of the review, I applied the cake powder using the compact's powder puff to demonstrate the coverage. It gives a light to medium coverage, concealing the redness and mild acne scars on my face.
Notice how cakey it looks like on my face. It's only one layer using the puff, patted and blended. The shade I use is 03 Natural, which is surprisingly light on my face. I think I should go a shade darker if I wanna keep using this.
As for the oil control, it lasted for nearly 4 hours before I see a slight oiliness on my T zone. However, it tends to cling on dry areas of my skin as I have combination skin nowadays.
Overall, I like that :
- it is easily accessible
- it is affordable, priced around Rp 45,000
- the coverage is light to medium
- it has sunscreen
- it has good oil control for someone with combination skin
I dislike that :
- it clings to the dry areas on the skin and exaggerates it
- it looks cakey even with just one layer
- it has fragrance, increasing potential irritation
What do you think of this powder foundation?
Does it last long on your face?
Let me know in the comments below and until then, I'll see you later~